2013年6月7日 星期五

My landlord in New Haven

I have never looked for a room to rend in Taiwan. However, I lived in a room rent by my family not looked for by me. All my student life stay in Taipei and I have no experience rending.

When I first time came to the US, I have a emergent job to find a place for my family, two kids and my wife. Fortunately, I lived with a new friend introduced by my brother-in-law. They are Christan and friendly. I felt a little embarrassed to live in a almost stranger's house. Their house is gorgeous. I arrived New Haven in the beginning of July and I have to find a place to stay for the whole year in fifteen days and then I would fly to Santa Cruz to attend an extensive English program supported by my Fulbright scholarship.

In the first days, I walked along the street and looked for the place for release. I tried to call the landlord or company and it is really a difficult step to talk with these issues in English. I felt much frustrated and the price is very expensive. While in Taiwan, all my family lived in a small sing room with bathroom and kitchen, in fact, live in my father-in-law's apartment. In the US, the company did not allow me to rend a single room or studio for my family. They asked me to live in a bigger space, two bedroom or three bedroom, which meant cost more. I was supported by the National Science Council and Fulbright but only enough for me alone not for all my family. Besides, some landlords heard I would take kids and they just said no, because they thought kids might destroy their furniture and make a noise to disturb others.

The day I had to leave for California was coming. I still could not find a place to stay. Finally I found a basement which was cheaper and I did not tell the company that I would bring the kids and I almost sighed the contracts and many documents. This place was neat Yale University, which was the down town with no safe place to walk or play for kids, but much convenient to school. I called home and discussed with my wife. She also told her friend, and her friend said that there might rats in the basement. Indeed, living in a basement, although, it could still have sunshine through the upper window. However, we have to see outside pedestrian's leg and head the loud noise in the down town. I also mentioned the place where I stayed, and my host professor also surprised at my decision.

At last, I turned down the deal. I called the agent, and said sorry that I could not move in for the reason of my family. At that time, I was worried that I might lost money and be sued. Fortunately, he expressed angry and went to talk with his superior and then talked to me that I could go without any compensation. It might be because I did not deposit any money for the contract, and therefore I could end the contract immediately without losing money. Anyway, I felt thankful for the situation.

The last two days, I have to fly to California. On the other hand, my friend also prepared to leave from here for they had a new job in the New York State. That meant I could not stay with them further. They have cleared out all things and waiting for selling it. Just the day before I left, I found a chance to talk with Elky, my landlord finally.

She was an immigrant from German and her husband from Austria. She was not very friendly looking in the beginning, more serious. However, I had to find a place and I talked with her and that I will only live in ten months. But I will pay 11 months and she even did not ask me for deposit. I felt very thankful.

I never dreamed that I could live in a house. They lived in the second and third floor and I lived in the first. Other houses were much more expensive for they looked more beautiful and new, but the price doubled. Or I think because they rend the house for whole building but I only rent for one floor.

Frank was the male landlord. He is 78 years old. At that time, I could not understand very well about what he said. He looked much kinder and nicer, but not easily to communicated with. All the facilities in my room were fixed by him, because the labor was very expensive here. They cleaned the yard and plant all beautiful flowers. We only enjoyed all their contribution. It is really a wonderful place for us to stay. While Emily came to New Haven, she was surprised that we have stayed in an area of mansion. I was proud of that and enjoyed the place very much.

During our residence, our kids really made a noise to disturb them. Elky would call me and ask whether we move the furniture and in fact she knew it was that the kids were jumping. We also had many parties in the house. Emily liked to cook and we enjoyed inviting people to talk with us. We had a great time there. In 2007, we left from the US, and in 2013, I came back and visited them again. I was so glad that nothing changed a lot. They are still there and their room are so elegant. Now, I could almost understand what they talk. I do have some progress.
2007/6


2006/10
2013/5


      

沒有留言: