2013年6月3日 星期一

First School of Education Research Student Conference

Today, I attended a student conference by school of education. The students who sponsor the conference are really nice and willing to spend time on these, offering a chance for us to practice and learn from others. It is also a place for social interactions.

I met a lady who said that she is a political activist from Yemen. She looks tough and enjoys talking about politics. She talks about the problem of NGO, which every critical. She claims that these NGOs have spent years in these poor countries. Why is there no change? She says that because these people in NGOs don't really want the poor independent. If all the needed can stand alone. All these NGOs have no reason to survive. So they don't really want to help the people. They consider themselves first. Second, she mentions that these foreign representatives with money come to their places. They don't know anything about the rural area but want to tell the local people to change. How could be possible? These people don't know local people needs and have and have-not. First point, I thought it a little too cynical. However, I am not qualified to judge. Second point is quite convincing for me. She campaigns for woman' s empower of education. In poor countries, girls are sacrificed for the boys, she says.

Another interesting article, one of my friends has many activities for the audience to play, including drawing and tell the drawing to the one sitting besides you. She also asks us what is our definition of a better English teacher. I find it interesting to have all these activities, not only attend a lecture. Another lecture which I am interested in, the presenter seemingly from Middle East very good Englsh, is about rhetorical moves in an English article. She emphasizes that it's good to emphasize the result of a study and make the article clearly.

I myself present "Learning 'Rhetoric': To be a part of Education". I argue that political rhetoric shall be a part of civic education, which will make our democracy better. I hope to write it in Chinese this summer.



  

 

沒有留言: